Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Snow on the ground

Waking up to total whiteness after several glorious weeks of sunshine and foliage colors ranging from pale yellow to the deepest reds was not what I was dreaming about last night. But there is was - a blanket of snow over everything and it is still October. Now some will be sharpening their skis and hiking up the mountain for that first run but I will not be with them. Don't get me wrong, skiing is still wonderful fun on the perfect day, especially with my Colorado daughter and son-in-law. Then I turn into a maniacal downhill racer thinking I can still outrun the younger generation.

Three or four years ago after a 12 year hiatus from skiing but with the encouragement of the kids, I sallied forth from the top of the chairlift at Beaver Creek on my rent-for-a-day skis. My confidence grew over the first few hundred yards of flat terrain. Turn right - turn left - feeling good - can still do this --- catch edge - collide head on with small child under the tutelage of his instructor - all parties flattened.

No one was hurt but the ego was severely damaged. In my 23 year career as a ski instructor nothing infuriated me as much as a full grown person mowing down one of my students. Aagh! The young ones were mightily amused and to this day warn me of small children with teachers ahead.

No comments: