Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The beginning ...

A page or two of a journal, a few entries in a writing folder, an unpublished short story and even the beginnings of a novel have been written over the years but now I am really excited! My first blog has been launched. Here is the opportunity to write with no other purpose than to please myself and those few of you who will find me.
Now in my 5th or maybe 6th career, and I expect my last, life has always been fun. Funny things have happened to me and others around me. Serious things have happened too, but it is the funny and interesting ones that I want to remember.
Memory is a funny thing all on its own. One day you can remember this great joke you heard and couldn't wait to repeat and just two days later it has flown clean out of your head. Not only has the punch line gone but the beginning, middle and lead up have also evaporated. Months or even years later, parts of the same joke pop into your consiousness but now the trick is to fill in the gaps. Actually being inventive at this time can lead to a whole new line of jokes.
However, it is the real life experiences that I want to recall and wish that I had written down much sooner. Maybe, just maybe, in the writing of this blog, the memory of those events will come crawling back to the surface just long enough for me to put them to paper.

No comments: