Saturday, October 25, 2008

Getting married in Vermont

Last evening, a young couple rehearsed for their wedding to be held later today with me as their officiant. It was not easy gathering all the players together for a fifteen minute run through. Most everyone was looking strained and unfocused but we pulled it off is just under an hour. The wedding will take less than half that time and for sure will be a joyous occasion.
I have been performing weddings and civil unions for four years as part of my role of Justice of the Peace. Young couples, 2nd and 3rd timers, same sex couples, later life unions, child in utero validations, and even those rushing into it after a ten year plus courtship, have come before me. And what fun it is! There are no sad weddings. Today's will be no exception.
One pouring wet day my cell phone lit up with a call from an older gentleman requesting the services of a Justice of the Peace. "I would be delighted", I said, "when and where?" "We are just here for one night leaving first thing tomorrow but anytime is good for us". My windshield wipers were going at full speed and I still couldn't see the road so I thought it wise to wait for a few hours and maybe the rain would stop. Well that would interfere with their dinner reservations but maybe they could fit it in early the next morning. In my garden at 9:00 am our lovely senior couple were joined to the sounds of birdsong and our old school-house bell pealing, thanks to my husband at the end of the rope. Hugs and tears were shared and as she turned to leave the blushing bride whispered to me, "we have been going together for 12 years but I want you to know that we have been saving ourselves for this day". Phew! Was I relieved to hear that?

No comments: