Sunday, July 5, 2020

1. Sauntering into Retirement - 2020

Retirement was always out there but nothing I really expected to embrace. Working in Real Estate, I thought, would allow me to slow down when the time came and be able to work at my own speed.  Being successful as a Realtor means answering every call, email and text within an hour regardless of time of day or night. It also means being on the run, showing properties, helping clients through building inspections, closings and even packing and making dump runs at the eleventh hour. Not being available to your customers and clients means they go elsewhere very quickly! 

Some health issues forced me to consider full retirement. I resisted for a couple of years but reluctantly pulled down my shingle at the close of 2017. I was 71 and ready to saunter.

Now at 73, I’m embracing retirement and happily sauntering. 



Since arriving in the US from England at the age of 19 I have galloped through life working several different careers, raising children and being very happily married to a wonderful man. We met in 1969 and married in 1971. That means next year we will celebrate 50 married years. It is impossible to imagine just how fast those years go by. At times it was overwhelming keeping our heads above water as we paddled frantically to build not one but three homes, keep the children fed and clothed and still keep up with the bills. But more about that in my next blog.

No comments: