Sunday, July 19, 2020

5. Sauntering into Retirement -2018

December 2017 marked the official end of my working for profit life. I was still struggling with chronic pain in my head and neck and it was time to find a solution or at least a way to live with it. Trips to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and many diagnostic tests here in Vermont and Boston had not turned up any specific cause other than nerve damage. Reducing my stress level, making time for exercise, yoga, massage, a good nutritional diet and rest seemed like the place to start.

A daily morning walk with the dogs on our trails has been a habit begun at least 20 years ago. Summer and winter, rain, snow or sunshine we are out there, sometimes before full light.  Thirty minutes of brisk up and down walking and talking, sharing thoughts and ideas, ranting about our current administration, and enjoying nature and time with each other and our dogs is good for the body and soul. Today I walk twice a day. Even better.

Eating healthy has always been a priority, well except for the copious amount of ice cream Frits and I partake in. Now I would have more time for preparing meals at home and raising vegetables.  I’ve always enjoyed baking and now could make all my own bread, with the help of a bread maker, muffins, scones, pies and crumbles and of course, ice cream. Neither Frits nor I, eat large quantities of anything, well except ice cream, so we are able to maintain our weight easily.

Once the holidays were over and winter had set in we settled into a mostly stay-at-home lifestyle that included time with friends and family but still I had time on my hands. Keeping my hands occupied it seemed, was going to be important. There was a time, back in the 80s, when I developed a small business making lamps with stenciled shades and applying stencils to T shirts, sweatshirts and the like. It was moderately successful.

One day, while surfing the internet I came upon needle felting. A woman in Russia made the most incredible birds and animals from wool and wire. I had to know how to do this! With the help of YouTube I created my first, very basic owl.


Not much talent needed here. As time went by my technique improved as I created many small birds and owls, some not too life-like but marginally good enough that I could give them away to friends and family. Soon I was over run with critters, not just birds but squirrels, chipmunks, foxes and other woodland creatures.



A friend and local gallery owner approached me about consigning some pieces. My intent was not to make a viable business and put pressure on myself but rather to keep my hands busy. However now I had a reason to keep stabbing that wool. My arthritic thumbs were not too happy but if I paced myself they held up.

I have added giraffes, cheetahs, elephants and many dogs to my collection, including some specific pets, copied from photos, as long lasting memories for their owners.

 

Of late, I’m into cats!! 




Some very talented Russian women still have me beat but, you know, retirement could go on for a very long time!

No comments: