Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sock Sale

The most mammoth sock sale in history occurred this weekend in Vermont. Cabot Hosiery manufactures socks of all weights, sizes, colors and shapes for many of the largest brands in the US and on the first and second weekends of deer season sells off its overruns, seconds, samples etc right at it's plant in Northfield, VT. I haven't been for the past couple of years and never have I made the trek on the first day, until this year!

The whole population of the State of Vermont is a little over 600,000. That includes grandmas and grandpas, moms and dads, brothers and sisters, singles and couples, male and female and I swear, all who could walk and those who could be pushed or carried were there yesterday.

The company ingeniously constructs a maze of passageways with large cardboard cartons that leads you into the main hall. With plastic bag in hand you can travel through the many shelves, bins, tables and boxes of socks selecting your purchases. When I arrived, the line to the checkout snaked around and around but I chose not to think about that. My mission was to fill my bag and a second bag with bargains that would be included in my Christmas packages and a few for myself. Even as thousands of socks were bagged more replaced them. Double and triple checking my stash to ensure that I wouldn't need to make a return trip next weekend, I stepped into line and checked my watch. It had taken me about 27 minutes. It was only then that it became clear that the check out was going to take fortitude and perseverance. The line moved at a snail's pace and took up much of the standing space in the hall. Some couldn't face it and dropped their partially filled bags and fled. Most, like me, were patient and in good humor and not about to be denied. The trick I was to find out, a little too late, is to take your place in line immediately upon arrival and shop your way around. My queue mates were hopping in and out of line, with a quick smile and "hold my place, I'll be right back" over and over. Great idea! Next year I'll know.

23 pairs of socks richer and an hour later, I emerged, very happy with my booty. So family, now you know what you will be getting for Christmas this year and every year to come.

No comments: